Ohio is home to numerous wineries and vineyards, making it the perfect destination for a wine-fueled getaway. And with several wine trails crisscrossing the state, it’s easy to plan an itinerary that hits all the correct highlights. If you want to spend a day exploring world-class wineries, Ohio has some exciting stopovers. So, grab a glass and explore what Ohio’s wine country offers.
How many wineries does Ohio have?
The number of wineries in Ohio has been steadily increasing in recent years. Right now, the state has more than 250 wineries.
This growth is an outcome of several factors, including the favorable climate and soil conditions that make Ohio ideal for growing grapes, as well as the growing popularity of wine among consumers.
Many Ohio wineries are also committed to using sustainable production practices and creating high-quality wines, which helps attract new patrons. Overall, the increase in wineries in Ohio is good news for wine lovers and local businesses.
Oldest Winery in Ohio
The oldest winery in the state is Firelands Winery, located in the lakeside town of Sandusky. This historic winery was founded in 1880 by the Mantey family and has been an indispensable part of the local wine community.
Largest Winery in Ohio
Located in Madison, an hour east of Cleveland, Debonne Vineyards is the largest winery in Ohio. The vineyard spans over 175 acres and produces a wide variety of high-quality wines for the state’s wine lovers.
Best Wineries and Vineyards in Ohio
With its lush green countryside, rolling hills, and countless opportunities for outdoor recreation, Ohio is the perfect destination for a weekend exploring all the beautiful wineries and vineyards the state offers.
Whether you drink wine for pleasure or are an avid connoisseur, there is something for everyone in Ohio. With a wide range of wines available, from dry reds to sweet whites, and extensive tasting rooms where you can sample them, these establishments are sure to provide the perfect setting for an afternoon or evening out with friends or loved ones.
Here are some that need a special callout.
Top Wineries with Accommodation in Ohio
- You can find the Lakehouse Inn and Winery in the scenic town of Geneva-on-the-Lake. This boutique winery offers a wide range of award-winning makes from locally sourced grapes and several elegant tasting rooms with stunning views of the lake. You can also take advantage of the accommodation at the inn, which features comfortable rooms and suites, many with private balconies or patios overlooking the peaceful lake.
- Gervasi Vineyard is in the bustling city of Canton. Set on 50 acres of rolling hills and vineyards, this beautiful estate boasts a variety of unique wine offerings, including sparkling wines and dessert wines. In addition to wine tastings and tours, you can enjoy a range of culinary experiences at Gervasi’s upscale restaurant and bakery and shopping opportunities at its gourmet market. Additionally, several lodging options are available for a stay.
Best Wineries in Northern Ohio
- Vermilion Valley Vineyards is one of the top wineries in northern Ohio. Known for its beautiful vineyard and extensive selection of high-quality wines, it’s located in Wakeman, Ohio. This estate winery offers tastings of over a dozen wines, including reds, whites, and sweet sparkling varieties. Other highlights include their onsite bar and lounge area, where you can enjoy a glass of wine or some light fare while taking in stunning views of the surrounding vineyard.
- Firelands Winery is another top winery in northern Ohio, known for its high-quality wines and commitment to sustainability. Located in Sandusky, Ohio, this winery uses environment-friendly practices to cultivate grapes and produce its delicious wines. You can tour the vineyard and learn about organic farming firsthand, as well as sample a wide variety of local wines made from locally sourced ingredients. It’s perfect for a fun day out with friends to treat your palate to a unique experience.
Wineries in Amish Country, Ohio
- Silver Moon Winery is one of the most beautiful wineries in Amish Country, Ohio. Exquisite vineyards, a lovely tasting room, and wide varieties, including dry reds, fruity whites, and sweet dessert wines, make it one of the finest wineries.
- Mastropietro Winery is another beautiful winery in Amish Country, Ohio, which is known for its high-quality wines and relaxed atmosphere. Set in the scenic countryside just outside Berlin Center, Mastropietro Winery features rolling hills, lush vineyards, and charming wine-tasting rooms where guests can sample an extensive collection of premium varietals. If you’re looking for crisp whites or bold reds, Mastropietro will indeed have something to suit your palate.
- Breitenbach Wine Cellars is known for its top-notch, handcrafted wines that use traditional winemaking techniques and locally sourced ingredients. The winery features beautiful vineyard grounds and a charming tasting room where you can sample different wines and learn more about the winemaking process. Whether you are a local wine enthusiast or a traveling wine aficionado, Breitenbach Wine Cellars is worth a visit.
Wineries in Northwest Ohio
- Located in Northwest Ohio, Stoney Ridge Winery is a popular destination for wine enthusiasts and live music lovers. The family-owned and operated winery produces many wines, including sweet and dry seasonal varieties. With its rustic and comfortable setting, Stoney Ridge offers the perfect place to relax and unwind while enjoying some of the region’s best wines.
- Gideon Owen Wine Company is a newer addition to the wine scene in Northwest Ohio, having been established in recent years by an experienced team of winemakers. Featuring a full restaurant and bar with an extensive beverage menu, Gideon Owen Wine Company offers a variety of fruit wines, reds, whites, and more. Savor a glass of your favorite wine or enjoy some great local craft beer while you are here.
Wineries in Northeast Ohio
- Debonne Vineyards is one of the premier wineries in northeast Ohio, thanks to its excellent location and outstanding wines. Located on a sprawling vineyard overlooking Lake Erie, Debonne Vineyards benefits from the unique microclimate that allows it to grow some of the best grapes for wine production in the region. In addition to traditional varietals like Riesling and Pinot Noir, Debonne also produces fruit-based wines from locally sourced ingredients.
- Goddess Wine House is another excellent destination for wine lovers in northeast Ohio. Located in Ashtabula, this unique winery focuses on premium vintages and innovative flavors, with a limited menu of classic white and red wines and more unusual varieties like sweet raspberry rosé and blackberry merlot. The food menu at Goddess Wine House is equally impressive, offering a selection of appetizers and entrees that pair perfectly with delicious wines.
Wineries in Columbus, Ohio
- Located in the historic neighborhood of Columbus, Wyandotte Winery is one of the city’s oldest and most famous wineries. Known for its high-quality wines and friendly, laid-back atmosphere, Wyandotte offers wine tastings guided by experts who help you explore new wines and learn how to pair them with delicious food.
- Good Vibes Winery is also a popular choice among locals and visitors. Located in the northern suburb of Westerville, this smaller winery offers a unique selection of handcrafted wines made using locally sourced ingredients. This place is ideal for a relaxing afternoon or an evening full of fun and discovery.
Also Read: A Guide to Visiting Ohio Wineries and Vineyards
Wine Trails to Explore in Ohio
Ohio is a state with a rich history of winemaking. The first vineyards were planted here in the early 19th century, and the state now has more than 250 wineries. Ohio’s wine trails are a great way to explore this history and taste some of the state’s finest wines. There are trails to suit all tastes and budgets, from the casual day-tripper to the serious oenophile. Be it a romantic getaway or a fun group outing, Ohio’s wine trail is sure to please.
- The Appalachian Wine Trail is a popular route, taking you through the state’s southeastern part and along its border with West Virginia. This trail features many wineries, offering a wide variety of wines ranging from reds and whites to sweet dessert wines. You can enjoy these wines while exploring the area’s stunning natural landscapes, including rolling hills, striking mountain vistas, and lush forests. You can also visit local farms and explore small towns steeped in history and culture.
- The Canal Country Wine Trail follows the historic Ohio and Erie Canal route, which was once an essential economic hub in southeastern Ohio.
- Walk or bike along the Towpath trail that runs alongside this scenic waterway.
- Take a ride on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad that follows the same path as the canal boats did centuries ago.
- Drive America’s Byway to see all the highlights of this beautiful region.
The trail includes wineries in areas such as Amish Country in southern Ohio, which offers unique cultural experiences for you to learn more about this fascinating community.
- The Capital City Wine Trail is a network of wineries and vineyards located in and around Columbus, Ohio. This trail features a variety of high-quality wines produced by local winemakers and opportunities to explore the unique attractions and natural beauty that characterize the area. Highlights include historic sites like the Ohio Statehouse and Ohio Governor’s Mansion, lush parks and gardens, vibrant shopping districts, and much more.
- The Lake Erie Shores and Island Wine Trail is a collection of wineries located on or near Lake Erie in northern Ohio. This trail offers the chance to discover an array of local wines, including whites, reds, rosés, sparkling wines, and dessert wines. It also provides easy access to some of the region’s most beautiful natural landscapes, including miles of pristine beaches, picturesque lighthouses, charming coastal towns and villages, legendary amusement parks like Cedar Point, abundant wildlife habitats like bird sanctuaries and fish hatcheries, and many other exciting attractions.
- The Vines & Wines Trail is a route through the scenic Ohio River Valley, home to the highest concentration of wineries in the state. This trail takes you through rolling hills and lush vineyards, where you can explore the history and art of viticulture and sample some of the region’s finest wines. You can also attend wine tastings and educational workshops, tour local wineries and vineyards, or relax at one of the many charming bed and breakfasts that dot the landscape. The Vines & Wines Trail is an idyllic weekend getaway that will delight you.
- The Ohio River Valley Wine Trail consists of a network of wineries located around Cincinnati and throughout its surrounding regions. This trail takes you through beautiful rural landscapes dotted with lush vineyards and picturesque farmhouses. Here, you can explore centuries-old winemaking traditions and sample some of the finest wines in Ohio. Along the way, travelers can visit local tasting rooms, take guided tours of local vineyards, attend special events like wine festivals or food pairings, or enjoy a relaxing day.
Ohio is home to some of the best wineries in the country, and it offers a range of Wine Trails for those interested in exploring this unique region. So, if you are looking for a relaxing afternoon spent tasting award-winning wines or an exciting weekend adventure among world-class vineyards, Ohio has a lot for you to explore.